If you have a Portland Valentine's Day event, be sure to load it up on our Portland Events calendar so I can feature it in the upcoming blog!
Candy, Downtown Portland in the Pearl District
Don't forget to visit our Portland clubs pages for even more ideas.
This Week's Top Ten in Portland
1) Pickathon Benefest 2011 - A benefit festival to support arts education at Buckman Elementary and the Portland Schools Foundation, produced by the good folks who bring you Pickathon Indie Roots Music Festival. Benefest is a unique collaboration between Portland venues, musicians, Buckman Elementary, and Pickathon. Jan 28-29, Feb 4 & 12. http://www.pickathon.com/benefest/
2) Pearl Bakery. Delicious baked goods, and the smell wafting through the air will certainly lure in passers-by, like it did me. Strolling past the window last night, I snapped this picture of a baker hard at work. Yum! 102 NW 9th Ave. http://www.pearlbakery.com/
A peek in the window at Pearl Bakery
3) Helium Comedy Club - Catch a comedy show at this great Hawthorne venue. 1510 SE 9th Ave. This weekend's show is Marc Maron: Marc Maron "WTF Podcast" 01-26 - 01-29, Maron has been a frequent guest on the Late Show with David Letterman and made 44 appearances on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, more than any other stand-up performer.
4) Live music at McMenamin's White Eagle Saloon - A favorite haunt in the Albina area along the industrial East waterfront. Live tunes nightly. http://mcmenamins.com/WhiteEagleSaloon In fact, ALL of the McMenamins. Visit our McMenamins page for more info!
5) LaurelThirst Public House - Speaking of favorite neighborhood hangouts, the LaurelThirst is a notable Kerns neighborhood bar with friendly people and great live music. http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/res8u18i/laurelthirstpublichouse/
6) Portland's vegetarian restaurants. We've just listed some of the best vegan and vegetarian restaurants in Portland on our Best Portland Vegetarian Restaurants page.
7) Slabtown Pinball. Portland's pinball aficionados' will enjoy the 12 pinball machines. 1033 NW 16th Ave on the top of the Pearl. http://www.slabtownbar.net/
8) Hall of Records at 3342 SE Belmont St. - Hall of Records is a boutique vinyl shop, cafe & bar specializing in soul, funk, jazz, latin, hip hop, deep funk and rare groove records. It is a social environment to listen, share and discover new music, with listening stations, open turntables and beer & wine. And oh so Portland... http://hallofrecordsportland.blogspot.com/
9) Amnesia Brewing. A favorite summer haunt due to their patio, with all the great weather it was "summer in January" there last weekend. People were packed under the tents outside, sipping brewskis and eating sausages off the grill. For more Portland beer, visit our Portland Breweries page.
10) Another episode of Portlandia! I think it's funny and can't wait to see what they've got coming next. Here's another Hulu sneek peek.
The Portland Photo of the Week
The Portland Photo of the Week winner this week is Indian Beach at Ecola Park, by Lindsay! This is actually a great time of the year to head out to the Oregon coast, where you can find this exact scene on the Northern edge of Cannon Beach (only 70 miles from Portland). This is one of my favorite spots in the world, and if you need some soul soothing scenery and peacefulness, I highly recommend it!
Our Portland Photo of the Week winner gets a gift certificate to a local Portland business of our choosing. Lindsay will receive a $20 gift certificate to one of Portland's favorite coffee shops, Barista (now in both the Pearl District and on NE Alberta Street). Want to learn more about where to find great Portland coffee? Visit our Portland Coffee page.
Come and upload your Portland photos to the Photo Gallery for your chance to win each week. Check back to see if your photo is selected for a spotlight in the weekly Portland blog!
We've got over 3000 photos of Portland up now. Here are the current featured photos from the site! Thanks for sharing your Portland photos.
Featured Portland Events this Week
Here are the featured Portland events this week focusing on events happening this very weekend! Thanks to everyone for adding all the great Portland events to the community events calendar. You can add your own Portland events directly to the events calendar, here. Just click "Add an Event" and fill in the details.
Also, for those of you romantics who want to plan ahead...our Portland Valentine's Day events and ideas page has begun. If you have a Portland Valentine's Day event you would like to see featured, go ahead and add it to the Portland Events Calendar and drop us a line. Also, if you know of a romantic restaurant in Portland that isn't already on our list, let us know.
January 28, 2011 to February 12, 2011 "Mission Theater" A benefit festival to support arts education at Buckman Elementary and the Portland Schools Foundation, produced by the good folks who bring you Pickathon Indie Roots Music Festival. Benefest is a un Organized by Pickathon | Type: portland benefit
January 3, 2011 at 6pm to February 21, 2011 at 7pm Lakewood Center for the Arts, Lake Oswego New art exhibit at the Lakewood Center in Lake Oswego from January 3 to February 21. Organized by Betty Jung | Type: art, exhibit
January 8, 2011 to April 17, 2011 Portland Art Museum Featuringsome 60 prints, drawings, and photographs exploring the ways in whichisolation, community, and the search for identity affected African Americansduring the 20th century. www.portlandartmuseu Organized by Portland Art Museum | Type: art, exhibit
January 14, 2011 at 10am to April 3, 2011 at 5pm Oregon Historical Society Throughout Oregons early history, many African Americans came to the territory as slaves and free individuals, despite Black Exclusion Laws. They worked and lived alongside other pioneers as farmer Organized by Rachel Butler | Type: exhibit
January 14, 2011 at 7pm to April 23, 2011 at 9:30pm Boarding at the Salmon St. Springs. The Awesome 80s Prom is a brand new blast-from-the-past interactive production in the style of "Tony 'n Tina's Wedding" and "Who Stole My Dead Husband?"! All of your favorite characters are there, f Organized by Chris Crooker | Type: dinner, theater
January 20, 2011 at 7pm to January 28, 2011 at 11pm "Various McMenamins" Great Northwest Music Tour A musical caravan, rolling monthly through our historic properties.In association with opbmusic.orgCheck out our PHOTO GALLERYof past tours. Every month, the Great Northwes Organized by McMenamins | Type: portland live music
January 20, 2011 at 8pm to January 30, 2011 at 3pm the mOuth studio World Premiere from Erin Leddy & Hand2Mouth! In 2001, Hand2Mouth ensemble member Erin Leddy lived with her grandmother for a year and recorded her memoirs. These tapes form the bones for this s Organized by Hand2Mouth | Type: theater
January 21, 2011 to January 30, 2011 various 10 days OF World Premiere PLAYS AND DANCE, STAGED READINGS CLOSE TO 70 Portland-GENERATED ArtS Events of New Work and growing The glow of creation shines out into the dark, water-kissed evenin Organized by Fertile Ground | Type: fertile ground
January 22, 2011 at 6pm to February 16, 2011 at 4pm seven virtues Currently showing at seven virtues is the weld metal works of Jill Toberson. Toberson is a well known artist in the Portland area and has done both custom and commercial metal works all over town. Organized by Michael Blair | Type: art, showing
January 26, 2011 at 6pm to March 11, 2011 at 5pm Portland Art Museum The inception of photography in the 1830s brought about radical changes in the look and social uses of portraiture. Dating from the mid-nineteenth century to today, the photographs in Likeness captur Organized by Portland Art Museum | Type: photography
January 27, 2011 at 7:30pm to January 29, 2011 at 7:30pm BodyVox Dance Center Don't miss BodyVox-2's January show! BodyVox-2 is comprised of energetic and talented apprentice dancers, and this show features classic BodyVox pieces, as well as new pieces created especially for B Organized by BodyVox | Type: dance, performance
January 29, 2011 from 7:30pm to 9:30pm Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall He just might be the single most unforgettable soloist you see in this or any other season: Colin Currie the one-of-a-kind percussion wizard drops into town to perform the Grammy-winning modern m Organized by Kelly Vanderzanden | Type: classical, concert
January 29, 2011 from 7:30pm to 9:30pm Willamette University, Hudson Hall A compelling musical work about the pursuit of peace...cast against the human consequences of war. Organized by Portland Gay Men's Chorus | Type: concert
January 30, 2011 from 4pm to 6pm The Old Church Jazz / gospel benefit concert featuring outstanding local artists - pianist Randy Porter and vocalists Rebecca Kilgore and Georgene Rice. Sunday, January 30, 2011 (4-6 PM) at the The Old Church in Po Organized by Evergreen Presbyterian Church | Type: benefit, concert
January 31, 2011 from 7pm to 9pm McMenamins Kennedy School The Albina Mural Project: Filling a Void in Portlands Public Art and History Presented by Robin Dunitz, Joanne Oleksiak, and PC Peri, co-curators of the Walls of Heritage, Walls of Pride exhibit. Organized by | Type: lecture
February 1, 2011 from 6:30pm to 8pm Urban Farm Store Have you heard of SPIN farming? Square foot gardening? Other ways to grow more vegetables on less land than you ever thought possible? Attend this class to become familiar with the highlights of thes Organized by Independence Gardens | Type: class
February 2, 2011 from 6:30pm to 8pm Linnton Community Center Learn how to go solar at home with Solarize Northwest. Attend one of our introductory workshops and we'll explain the benefits of buying in bulk with your neighbors, describe how to participate, and Organized by Alison Wallisch | Type: workshop
5, 2011 from 11am to 5pm Sellwood
Masonic Temple Come peruse
over 30 unique local artisans selling eclectic handmade items.
Find the perfect one-of-a-kind gift for your Valentine, loved
one or yourself! Coffee and sweets! DOOR PRIZES! Face painting
Organized by Hip
Happening | Type: art,
5, 2011 from 11am to 4pm "Hilton
Vancouver Washington" Before
You Walk The Aisle, Make Sure You Walk Ours! The 2011 Greater
Vancouver Bridal Show will be a one stop shopping trip for the
Northwest soon-to-be-Bride and Groom. A one day comprehensive
Organized by Luxe Event
Productions | Type: bridal
February 5, 2011 from 11am to 4pm "Hilton Vancouver Washington" Before You Walk The Aisle, Make Sure You Walk Ours! The 2011 Greater Vancouver Bridal Show will be a one stop shopping trip for the Northwest soon-to-be-Bride and Groom. A one day comprehensive brida Organized by Luxe Event Productions | Type: bridal show
Looking for something else? We have a ton of other local Portland events -- check 'em out and feel free to add your own!
Lake Oswego Real Estate Report
Connect with Portland
Thanks for reading this Portland blog. Check out these other helpful pages about Portland:
Portland sites we love:
Copyright © 2005-2014 PortlandNeighborhood.com | All Rights ReservedReturn to top