Welcome to another week of the PortlandNeighborhood.com blog! Dare we say it is(most definitely)...WINTER? Already? Wow. The summer came and went in a heartbeat, huh? Let's put it this way: the heat is already on and we are wearing coats, sweaters and boots. Aye!
If there is one thing Portland knows well, its the winter damp. Gray skies and cool temperatures pretty much dominate the year, lasting from October(ish) until May, even June at times. One must be made of tougher stuff to be a Portlander. You either thick-skin through the rain and cold and hike and bike year around or you retreat to the pubs and coffee shops and make a warm and cozy hibernation of the wet and cold seasons. Which one are you?
This Week's Top Ten in Portland
This week we list 10 Places to go (eat, see, do, drink!) in PDX before you die:
1. Lompoc Brewing: The best, best, best beer in PDX. All real and made right here, baby. http://www.newoldlompoc.com/
2. Pioneer Square: If you haven't sat on the bricks and watched the world for just a few minutes, you ain't no PDXer. http://www.portlandneighborhood.com/portland-pioneer-square.html
3. Saturday Market: Full of local crafters, locals and some crazies. Amazing cart foods, local live music and the best people watching to be had in fair Portlandia. http://www.portlandneighborhood.com/portland-saturday-market.html
4. Pix Patisserie: In a word: Damn! This here is the BEST local chocolate (and dessert) and of course, date place on the planet. http://www.pixpatisserie.com/collections/chocolate
5. Lovely's 50/50: In a race for best wood fired, handmade pizza in Portland, this pizza will make you crazy with want and desire. Finish with their homemade ice cream and find yourself never satisfied again anywhere else and somehow satisfied knowing there just is no better. http://lovelysfiftyfifty.com/
6. Coava Coffee Roasters: With over FIFTY single origin coffees that have ranked superman-like scores at heavy weight CoffeeReview.com, you'll never find more amazing coffee than this all-local Portland sensation. http://coava.myshopify.com/
7. Portland Timbers: If you've never screamed yourself senseless and became one with the masses, you're missing the other half of your soul. http://www.portlandtimbers.com/
8. Huber's Cafe: Portland's oldest restaurant opened in 1879. Originally, The Bureau Saloon, Huber's is an important part of Portland's edible history. http://www.hubers.com/
9. Montage: A little New Orleans or Crazy South never hurt Portlanders. In fact, we love the Montage and make it necessary for all newcomers to go-- eat, drink and be merry! http://www.montageportland.com/
10. The Portland Art Museum: Go here for an afternoon of wonderment and delight. A beautiful, well stocked, incredible museum. http://portlandartmuseum.org/
The Portland Photo of the Week
The Portland Photo of the Week winner this week is by Ruth Ann Reynolds. Welcome to heaven! Hiking in Oregon is, indeed, heaven on earth. Lush, tropical feeling rain forest of sorts...amazing.
Our Portland Photo of the Week winner gets a gift certificate to a local Portland business of our choosing. Ruth will get a $20 gift certificate to local business, Powells Bookstore.
Come and upload your Portland photos to the Photo Gallery for your chance to win each week. Check back to see if your photo is selected for a spotlight in the weekly Portland blog!
Most Popular Portland Neighborhoods
Featured Portland Events
Here are the featured Portland events this week focusing on events happening this weekend or those just around the corner! Thanks to everyone for adding all the great Portland events to the community events calendar. You can add your own Portland events directly to the events calendar for free (pleased read our terms of service first). Just click "Add an Event" and fill in the details.
October 8, 2011 at 7:30pm to October 10, 2011 at 8pm – Arlene Schnitzer Concert HallHow's this for a perfect pairing: Yefim Bronfman, the phenomenal pianist praised for his "jaw-dropping bravura," is back with the Oregon Symphony to perform one of the grandest of all piano works, th…Organized by The Oregon Symphony | Type: concert
October 8, 2011 from 1pm to 8pm – McMenamins St Johns PubOktoberfest @ St Johns McMenamins If you enjoyed seeing the trees on Lombard Street lit up last winter, then mark the 8th of October on your calendars now. The St Johns Boosters are joining with McMe…Organized by St Johns Boosters | Type: benefit
October 8, 2011 from 10am to 5pm – 100 artists' studios in the Portland metro area PORTLAND OPEN STUDIOS 2011 Watch Artists at Work When: October 8, 9 & 15, 16 Time: 10 am to 5 pm, all art studios open both weekends*( 2 studios will be closed Oct 8 for Yom Kippur) Where: 10…Organized by Portland Open Studios | Type: visual, arts,tour
October 8, 2011 from 9am to 12pm – Lincoln High School Track FieldThis event is an expanded version of our 28-year-old Kids Mara Fun Run traditionally held on Sunday. This new event will be held on Saturday and be dedicated to our community of active Marathon-runne…Organized by Portland Marathon | Type: kid's, fun, run
October 4, 2011 at 7:30pm to November 6, 2011 at 7:30pm – Artists Repertory Theatre - Morrison StageIs what you remember ever what really happened? In this enigmatic tumble through time, two men circle each other in the limbo of logic, recovering memory and reconciliation as their lives hurtle towa…Organized by Artists Repertory Theatre | Type:performance
July 2, 2011 at 10am to October 26, 2011 at 2pm –Downtown Dates Wednesdays, May 4th through October 26th Times 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Location The Wednesday Downtown Market is located in the South Park Blocks at Shemanski Park between SW Salmon & SW…Organized by Portland Farmers Market | Type:
July 6, 2011 at 3:30pm to October 13, 2011 at 7:30pm – "Sellwood Moreland" Wednesdays 3:30pm-7:30pm*, May 11th – October 13th 2010 The Moreland Farmers Market is a market with locally grown fresh produce, nursery stock, cut flowers, cheese, meat, fish, honey, baked goods, s…Organized by Moreland Farmers Market | Type:moreland farmers market
August 3, 2011 at 6pm to October 22, 2011 at 7pm –various, see schedule Portland Timbers - Match Schedules Timbers Tickets: http://www.portlandtimbers.com/schedule 8/03 7:30PM PDT ESPN2 Portland/Los Angeles 8/06 7:30PM PDT FOX 12 estrellaTV 8.3 San Jose/Portland 8/14 6…Organized by Portland Timbers | Type: portland timbers
August 6, 2011 to December 31, 2011 – Portland Art Museum Do you have an object you would never give up? Something that lives on your wall, your mantle, or buried in the corner of your dresser drawer? Something that evokes a time in your life, a place you m…Organized by Portland Art Museum | Type: exhibit
September 6, 2011 at 7:30pm to October 9, 2011 at 7:30pm – Artists Repertory Theatre What’s so funny about parents acting like children? This 2009 Tony winner for Best Play, tells the story of two sets of parents who meet to discuss a bullying incident in what they hoped would be a “…Organized by Artists Repertory Theatre | Type:performance
September 12, 2011 at 12pm to October 24, 2011 at 7pm – Pearl District, Old Town/Chinatown, Portland Art Museum Get off the couch and go enjoy Portland in a totally new way – through an interactive walking tour! If you love scavenger hunts, you'll really love Portland: The Game! It combines the fun of a scav…Organized by Michael Forbes | Type: interactive, tour
Looking for something else? We have a ton of other local Portland events on the calendar. Please feel free to add your own as well.
Mill Park Neighborhood Real Estate Market ReportWe hope you enjoy reading this weekly Portland blog. Let us know if you want to see more or less of something. We want to thank you for reading, interacting and making this Portland website such an asset to the community! If you love this site as much as we do, please tell your friends!
Connect with Portland
Thanks for reading this Portland blog. Check out these other helpful pages about Portland:
Portland sites we love:
Copyright © 2005-2014 PortlandNeighborhood.com | All Rights ReservedReturn to top of this Portland Blog